FAUSA stands for the Federation of American Women’s Clubs Overseas (FAWCO) Alumni USA, the alumnae arm of an international network of over 60 independent volunteer clubs and associations in over 30 countries, with a total membership of more than 10,000. When the members of those clubs return to the US, many join the FAUSA network of expatriates and returnees to keep their connection to their clubs, maintain overseas friendships, and continue to participate in world affairs through the FAWCO Global Issues Teams and UN activities. They also benefit from the support of fellow returnees in experiencing the joys, challenges and changes involved in returning home to the US. FAUSA members and children are eligible to apply for The FAWCO Foundation Education Awards and may propose eligible projects for a Foundation Development Grant. Members may also nominate a project for FAUSA’s annual Banner Project.
FAUSA membership is open to Americans who have lived overseas, as well as individuals born outside of the United States, whose goals are compatible with those of FAUSA. There are several types of membership:
- Regular - open to members or former members of FAWCO clubs
- Associate – open to individuals who have lived overseas but were not members of FAWCO clubs
- Couples – open to Regular and Associate members and their partners
- Five-year membership—avoids having to keep up with renewing membership every year
- Lifetime membership—provides the benefits of FAUSA membership throughout your lifetime
Where Did We Move From?
FAUSA members are offered the opportunity to explore the US upon their return to the U. S. by participating in FAUSA’s Getaway and Annual Meetings, which are held in various parts of the country each fall. For more information, visit our Getaway and Annual Meeting webpage HERE.
Like the FAWCO clubs abroad, FAUSA’s members contribute to its management by volunteering to serve in various capacities. The seven elected officers listed below make up the Board of Directors.
The Officers of FAUSA for the 2017-19 term are:
- President: Therese Hartwell
- First Vice President-Communications and Public Relations: Rick Chizmadia
- Second Vice President-Membership: Shannon Coughlan Reiss
- Secretary: Leslie Nelson
- Treasurer: Kathy Coughlan
- Director of Philanthropy: Marilee Watts
- FAWCO Liaison: Janelle Mason
The Board of Directors is assisted by appointees who serve as Standing Committee Chairs, Historian, and Webmaster:
- Parliamentarian: Jane Indreland
- Historian: Nancy Thornley
- Nominating and Board Development: Jane Indreland
- Website: Debbie Hastings
- International Liaison: Louise Greeley-Copley
Members are urged to volunteer for service on the Board, as Chair, or member, of a committee, or to suggest a new committee appropriate to the needs of the membership.
FAUSA membership is divided geographically into Regions (including an International Region) and Metropolitan Areas, headed by Regional Representatives (RR) and Metropolitan Coordinators (MC). Our membership represents a wide range of ages across the country. The Metropolitan Areas hold periodic activities, as do the Regions that have no MAs. Many groups invite individuals who have lived abroad but who were not members of FAWCO clubs to join their groups as FAUSA members.
FAUSA is proud to be associated with FAWCO’s rich history. To learn more about FAWCO’s background, check out the following resources:
- Kathy Webster's Address to FAUSA - Kathy tells of her experience with FAWCO over almost 30 years, particularly with expatriate citizenship and voting issues.
- The Red Book - This book details the history of FAWCO from its founding. Learn about the history of the book itself HERE. And read co-author, Nancy Thornley’s, thoughts about her experience with FAWCO and the book HERE.