We watch with horror and dismay as the Ukrainian crisis unfolds and deepens. Many of you are already contributing to efforts to help the millions of refugees and others affected by this genocide. We encourage FAUSA members to share their own efforts and ideas on our FAUSA Facebook members group page.
A few organizations that FAUSA board and individual members, and FAWCO members are supporting are listed below. Please note: these are not vetted by FAUSA and are not FAUSA-sponsored. Recent articles in FAWCO publications have highlighted the generous support of FAWCO clubs and members and their efforts to help refugees through fundraising and hands-on actions.
The board is looking at a policy for how we respond to future humanitarian crises. If you'd like to be part of this process, contact Liz Janson, FAUSA president.
- In an article by FAUSA member and Co-Chair of FAWCO’s Human Rights Team, Karen Castellon (AWC Berlin), writes about individuals and FAWCO clubs who are actively involved.
- One FAUSA member is supporting Catholic Relief Services which provides food assistance, transportation, housing, medical support for refugees and in Ukraine.
- Another member is contributing to a Ukrainian church in her community. Ukrainian churches are in many communities across the US.
- And another member has a friend who lives near the Polish/Ukrainian border who drives food and supplies directly to those in need.
- The Refugee Assistance Alliance founded by one of our FAUSA members, Kristen Bloom, works with refugees from Asia, Africa and the Middle East.
- A new program for Ukrainian refugees, Uniting for Ukraine, was recently announced by President Biden. Effective April 25, US individuals and organizations can apply to sponsor a refugee or family.
- Rescue circles can help refugees who ultimately arrive in the US, maybe an opportunity for one (or more) of our metro groups.
Again, please share your own efforts and ideas on our FAUSA Facebook members group page.